Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Voila!

*** Just got an email from Apartment Therapy and they are going to post a before and after pic of my chair on their blog in the next week or so!  So exciting!!! I will post a link directly when its up...*****


I finished! Except for the patches on the arm rest, I completed the project last night. I chose a gray green velvet for the back of the chair and made a cover for the cushion. I have to say I'm pretty proud of the job all in all! It's definitely an improvement on the original look. It a very comfortable chair and I'm happy to have it in my bedroom. I hope Aaron will actually use it as his reading chair, although I have a sneaking suspicion he'll wind up on the bed (asleep).




6 comments:

Linnea said...

Fantastic work! It looks great!

Schbvonne said...

great use of that fabric, funny i just found a use for the fabric i bought that day. I need your address for christmas presents please...mj's too.

Schbvonne said...

it looks really cute court!

Courtney Cerruti said...

Thanks! I've been wanting to use that fabric forever, and I finally found the perfect use for it!

Jodie said...

Wow, that chair looks awesome. Are you able to post some tips for how you recovered it? I would love to do a project like this!

Courtney Cerruti said...

Thanks Jodie! Honestly, I just ripped off the piping and upholstered over the existing fabric. Underneath the fabric is raw batting that would be hard to shape without a covering of some sort. Once I had the piping off, I started at the top of the chair and draped the new fabric, placing a nail every inch or so. I would smooth and stretch the fabric as you go. Any wrinkle will show up in the end, so try to keep on top of the way the fabric is lying once you nail it in place. I also recommend nailing a few on the left, then the right, so you don't wind up with the fabric cockeyed on the chair.
If I had to do it again, I would recommend a staple gun and some pre-planning for a more professional look. Good Luck!